NRA Basic Pistol Course
Course Description: NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course ($135.00, location varies throughout CT)
Objective: To teach the basic knowledge, skills and attitude for owning and operating a pistol safely. You will also learn all the material needed to obtain the CT permit to carry pistols and revolvers.
The course will be a little over 8 hours long and includes classroom and range time with both revolvers and semiautomatic pistols. Students will learn NRA’s rules for:
- Safe gun handling
- Pistol and revolver parts and their function
- Shooting Fundamentals
- Range rules
- Various shooting positions: Bench rest, two handed and standing positions
- Cleaning the pistol
- Opportunities and training exercises to help you continue your skills development and reinforce all that you have learned in class.
In addition to the NRA course, CT Gun Safety also provides:
- We cover the entire process of not only getting your permit, but what to do if you encounter a problem along the way (including a denial and processes for appeals).
- Discuss all the paperwork involved in obtaining your local town permit as well as your state permit (more on that below)
- Discover places to shoot in CT, including local clubs
- An introduction to CT firearms laws
- information on how to stay current with legislation in CT to ensure that you keep your rights
- NRA Guide to the Basics of Pistol Shooting handbook
- NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure
- Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet
- Basics of Pistol Shooting Student Examination
- Course completion certificate.
- Notary services
There is also a “Women Only” version of this course. The purpose is to offer a comfortable learning environment where women can feel free to ask any questions they may have. There is some women specific portions of the course as well. If 4 or more women want to have their own group session, we can put one together at your place with no extra cost involved.
What to bring:
We provide the firearms, ammunition, safety gear and learning materials. Students should bring:
- Identification (drivers license, state issued ID card is OK).
- Notebook and something to write on.
- Local town issued permit application (bring two so you have a spare, if needed).
- Questions! If you do some research prior to class, and have some questions, bring them to class for discussion.
Range shooting is in Berlin, all materials will be provided.